Thursday, June 20, 2013

INSECTS- Upcycled!

  



This Spring it was hard to walk anywhere in my neighborhood without seeing THIS



We were overrun by the 17 year cicadas coming up to say hi, loafing on our plants, enjoying the sun and making my dog very very full. Depending on how you feel about cicadas this was either a good time to hide in your homes or to venture forth as the local welcoming committee. At my house we welcomed them with open arms (or in the case of my mini-schnauzer, open mouth.)

So it was only natural to turn to art as a way to honor the little guys. Of course the 5-6 year old class preferred butterflies. Close enough! I got to use up my lemon juice containers to make insect bodies and we added little pieces of hardware and pipecleaners and cut cardstock wings. Sharpies work wonders on carstock. The insect goggles (thank you to my friend Eileen who donated a bunch of avocado cartons) were more free-form-insect-style. 






Pipe cleaners made great legs, antena, and even proboscises, their tubelike feeding structures!



 In any event, it was a really fun project and all the insect artists had great time! Aren't you impressed that I didn't try to make any insect puns? 








2 comments:

  1. Hello friends, nice post and nice urging commented at this place, I am in fact enjoying by these. picasso paintings

    ReplyDelete