Sunday, June 10, 2012

Riddle me this, Batman!

I got one for you.


Q: What does a vinyl Thompson Twins album, a Barbie doll shoe and an egg carton have in common?

Give up?
A: I can use them ALL as art supplies!`



I have many generous friends who have literally kept Picasso's Basement going by supplying me with their refuse. Several parents of Picasso's Basement students recently asked what else the art room could use. My list is long and everchanging but I've done my best to put together a current list. If you have anything listed that you'd like to contribute or you have something new (or old) and exciting that you think you'd like to pan off on me donate, please drop me a line!






  1. Clear square CD Cases. Really. With or without enclosed CD
  2. Egg Cartons (Plastic for great paint trays, styrofoam/cardboard are saved for crafts)
  3. Bubble Wrap (the small bubbles, not the big ones)
  4. Rounded small Applesauce/Fruit containers 
  5. Extra craft supplies you're getting rid of! (Wait! Why would you get rid of it?! Well, IF...)
  6. Old maps
  7. Buttons
  8. Pencils 
  9. Erasers
  10. Wooden frames
  11. Plywood Scraps (big enough to cut into small signs with a jigsaw)
  12. Printer paper
  13. Vinyl albums and singles (do you remember these?)
  14. Bottle caps. (Yes. Still.)
  15. Laundry detergent bottles, preferably brightly colored ones
  16. *Teeny tiny toy pieces (Gumball machine items, Polly Pocket dolls and accessories. Letter blocks etc.)
  17. Old magazines for cutting up.
  18. Things with weird textures. (I know. It's vague. Use your imagination. Have a strip of mesh food baggies? It's fantastic for printmaking!)
  19. Art books
  20. Art posters
  21. Lampshades
If you want to know what the teeny toy pieces are good for take a look at this fabulous piece created by one of my Middle School students:

Assemblage ala Louise Nevelson

And if I haven't said it enough, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU  to all of those whose generous contributions have kept my art program going! 



No comments:

Post a Comment